JMeter is an open source software testing tool that is used for performance-oriented business (functional) test, perform load test, regression test on different protocols and technologies.With great community support, JMeter offers frequent releases, improvement and meets the needs of software testers as well as of the business owners.
From Apache Software Foundation, Stefano Mazzocchi was the original developer of JMeter tool. He wrote it fundamentally to test the performance of Apache JServ (Apache Tomcat project). Apache later redesigned JMeter to enhance the graphical user interface and to add new testing capabilities.
JMeter is a Java-based desktop application with a Graphical interface that utilizes the Swing graphical API. It can, therefore, run on any workstation/environment that accepts a Java virtual machine, for example − Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.
What Can I Do With JMeter?
Apache JMeter is primarily used to perform functional and performance testing both on static and dynamic resources i.e. Files, Servlets, Perl scripts, Java Objects, Data Bases and Queries, FTP Servers and more. It is also used to perform load testing by simulating a heavy load on server, network or object to test its strength or to analyze overall performance under different load types. It is sometimes used to perform a functional test on websites, web applications, databases, webservices etc.
JMeter supportsfollowing protocols:
- Web − HTTP, HTTPS sites ‘web 1.0’ web 2.0 (Ajax, flex and flex-ws-amf)
- Web Services − SOAP / XML-RPC
- Database via JDBC drivers
- Directory – LDAP
- Messaging Oriented service via JMS
- Service − POP3, IMAP, SMTP
- FTP Service
Advantages of JMeter
- Open Source: JMeter allows developer to use the source code for the development which is free to use
- User Friendly GUI: JMeter is very much easy to use and the user can easily get familiar with it.
- Platform Independent: JMeter is purely a Java desktop application which is accessible on multiple platforms.
- Full Multi-threading Framework: JMeter allows coincident and simultaneous sampling of different functions through a separate thread group
- Visualize Test Results: Test result can be displayed in adifferent format such as table, chart, tree and log file.
- Easy Installation: Just copy and run the *.bat file to run JMeter. No installation needed
- Highly Extensible: JMeter also supports visualization plugins allow you extend your testing and a user can write his own tests
- Multiple Testing Strategy: JMeter supports many testing strategies such as Load Testing, Functional Testing and Distributed Testing
- Simulation: JMeter can simulate multiple users with concurrent threads which creates a heavy load against web application under a test.
- Support multi-protocol: JMeter supports web application testing, and also evaluate database server performance. All basic protocols such as HTTP, LDAP, JDBC, JMS, SOAP and FTP are supported by JMeter
- Record & Playback: Record the user activity on the browser and simulate them in web application using JMeter
- Script Test: The integration of Jmeter with Bean Shell & Selenium results automated testing.
- User-Friendly GUI: JMeter is very much easy to use and the user can easily get familiar with it.